While the 3 big kids were enjoying their day camps (Isaac's camp wasn't offered on the same day), Aunt Sandy joined me to explore the zoo with just Isaac and Lucy. It was such a special time for the four of us.
We started off in the direction of loud monkey calls. A huge monkey was whooping and hollering and swinging all around. He actually reminded me of the characters from the movie Madagascar when they purposely put on shows for the zoo spectators! From our spot in the monkey area we could also hear the lion roaring. Five minutes into our zoo trip, I was already thinking, "Best zoo trip ever!" The rest of the day didn't disappoint, either.
This photo was taken right before this Gorilla beat his chest, banged on the glass right in Isaac's face and ran away up the hill. It was so cool. :) Isaac thought so, too.
Here's my favorite monkey!
I got right up in this peacock's face for this picture. It was perched on a fence and let me snap away. He could have picked my nose, I was so close!
Lucy took a while to warm up to the goats but finally drummed up the courage to pet one.
Lucy's first merry-go-round ride! I am pretty sure she like it!
It's amazing that Isaac was able to feed this bird at all. See that huge peacock feather in the picture? He'd found it while we were having a snack and carried it around the rest of the day. He kept waving it around, as little boys do, and scared all the little budgies. I'm sure they thought it was a hawk or other flying predator! We stuck the feather in the bag and had much more success with the colorful budgies.
This little birdie hopped right onto Isaac's stick! Isaac didn't even have to coax him on like my sister and me did!
Best kept secret of the zoo? The tram rides. No joke. When you've walked your legs off in the hot sun of summer, with 2 little ones in desperate need of naps, and find yourself clear at the back of the zoo...find the nearest tram stop and get on! It's only $2 per person round trip or 50 cents per person per stop and WORTH EVERY PENNY. Seriously, the best $6 we spent at the zoo that day. Isaac even fell asleep.
One funny little story to leave you with:
Going up a big hill at the zoo, I said the expression, "My dogs are barkin'." Isaac cocked his head, listening for a moment, and said, "No, they're not mom!"
I explained that it was just an expression that meant my feet were tired and hurting from walking so much.
A week and a half later, at the zoo again and on the SAME hill, Isaac grabs my hand and says, "My dogs are barkin'." I was so proud and tickled. :)
Out in the parking lot on the way to the car, he tried saying it again. Only this time he didn't get it quite right: "My legs are barkin'." I had to laugh out loud and hug him!
No comments:
Post a Comment