Saturday, November 8, 2008

A morning surprise

Yesterday my good friend Kerri spent the day with us. Together we made Birth Mother's Day cards for the Nebraska Children's Home Society (NCHS). Did any of you know that the Saturday before Mother's Day is Birth Mother's Day? It is a day to honor women who chose to give life to the children they were carrying and also chose to make an adoptive plan for them. Kerri and I cranked out 30 cards that we'll donate to NCHS. I love that I can spend an afternoon with a friend, doing something I love, while at the same time using my gifts to the glory of God. Kerri stayed until midnight...a late but fun night!


Lige is away at an FCA event this weekend, it's just me here with the kids. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but last night as Kerri left, I thought it just felt cold in the house. I checked the thermostat...yep 64 degrees and falling...and the furnace was set to 72. Remembering this has happened before, I recalled something about a sensor needing to be cleaned. I openned up the furnace and took a look. Yeah, I had no idea! I tried calling Lige at about one...and then about every 5 minutes until very early in the morning. He was not to be reached. I found a paint brush laying on top of the furnace and reasoned perhaps Lige had set it there for The Cleaning of the Furnace Sensor (why else would a paint brush be on top of the furnace?!). I started dusting everything inside with it. Nothing was working, even after I checked online to see if I could find what I was supposed to be looking for. All in vain. I finally decided that the kids probably wouldn't freeze to death in the night and that I had better try and get some sleep. It was late (or early, I guess) when I crawled into bed. After sleeping for a while, I woke to hear the furnace kicking on. I prayed a quick and joyful "Thank you" and went back to sleep, know it would be morning soon and my little ones would be waking me sooner than I would like.


They did wake me sooner than I would have hoped. Amana got cereal for the younger kids while I stayed in bed. I had been dozing again when I heard her sweet voice, "Mommy, I have a surprise for you." I openned my eyes to see my oldest daughter with a plate of peanut butter toast, grapes, a glass of water and a smile. It was so sweet. (And who knew she could make toast?!) The toast was cold, the peanut butter skimpy, and there were 2 grapes in my water (because "we didn't have any cherries"). But for me, breakfast in bed never tasted so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute and sweet about your breakfast in bed! Well, it must have been the weekend for furnace issues as my parents just left our house with the motor from ours! Thankfully my dad is a genius and heating/air is his expertise! For now though, we are using our portable heaters and hoping for nicer weather until he can get back to replace it. I had a great time on Friday - much needed girl time!! I forget how much I need that sometimes. Love, Kerri